Harry Hersey liked to take aerial photos and built this tall tripod to use to get those beloved photos. Harry and his brother Tom were photographers in Mitchell for many years. This photo was taken on the Dakota Wesleyan Campus; in the background on the right is the president’s house, Science Hall (center), College Hall on the left.
Published in the June 18th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This is an early photograph of Wesley Acres Retirement Home on West Havens Street in Mitchell. It was built in 1963-1964, but its origins date to 1949, when the South Dakota Conference of The Methodist Church authorized the organization of Methodist Homes, Inc., for the purpose of building homes for the aging. On March 14, 1961, Wesley Acres Inc. was incorporated for the purpose of founding a retirement home on a 10-acre tract of land adjacent to the Methodist Hospital on the west side of Mitchell. The architect was Walter Dixon, of Mitchell. Wesley Acres officially opened its doors with an open house on Sunday, May 3, 1964. By that fall, the home had been filled with residents. Ernest Forbes, superintendent of the Mitchell Methodist Hospital since 1954, also became the administrator of Wesley Acres, as both entities had a close working relationship.
Photo from the Archives of the Dakotas Conference of The United Methodist Church.
Published in the May 14, 2018 Daily Republic.
This 1930s photo shows Elmer Locke standing by the pumps of his Texaco station that was located at 1220 east First Avenue in Mitchell. Photo courtesy of Sheilah Gates.
Published in the September 25th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This photo of Mitchell’s Main Street from Second Avenue looking north was taken during Corn Palace week in 1938. The Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra was the entertainers for the week-long festival that ran from September 26 to October 1. There were two shows a day Monday through Friday and 3 shows on Saturday. Tickets for the show were 65 cents for adults and 25 cents for kids. The building on the left hand corner burned down and is now a vacant lot.
Published in the July 30th, 2018 Daily Republic.
The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad Depot was built in 1909 after the first one was destroyed in a fire. The depot was closed down in 1980 and is now the Depot Restaurant and Bar. Rick Mills from the South Dakota Railroad Museum will be the speaker at the Mitchell Area Historical Society Annual Dinner Meeting on September 17, 2018, for more information contact the Carnegie Resource Center. 996-3209 Photo from the collection of Richard Papousek.
Published in the September 4th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This 1909 photo shows Mt. Vernon's Main Street from the south, with the railroad in the foreground.
Published in the January 22nd, 2018 Daily Republic.
A crowd awaits the opening of of Geyerman’s Fire and Smoke Sale on June 11, 1951 along Main Street in Mitchell. The sale was themed that “Everything sells to the bare walls.”
Mitchell Area Historical Society photo.
Published in the November 20th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This circa 1911 photo was taken on West Third Avenue looking East. The Methodist Church is in the background. The church was built in 1906.
Published in the July 2, 2018 Daily Republic.
Shown is the 100 block of east Third Avenue. On the left is the Johnson Furniture Store and the telephone company. Across the alley from that is the original Commercial Bank building that was an insurance company after the bigger Commercial Bank building to the right was constructed. The Commercial Bank burned down in 1980 and is now Woelfel Park. The building on the far right is the Western Bank on the south west corner of Main and Third Avenue.
Published in the October 9th, 2018 Daily Republic.
Shown is the Ryan Lumber Company in Letcher, South Dakota. The lumber company was founded by William Ryan in 1893 and was sold to J. F. Anderson Lumber Company in 1910. Ryan went on to establish the Letcher State Bank ( later known as the First National Bank) in Letcher.
Published in the April 9th, 2018 Daily Republic.
Pictured is the Friends of Middle Border Museum that was located at 1311 South Duff Street in Mitchell. The building was built in 1954. The museum’s collections were started in 1939; it was affiliated with Dakota Wesleyan University but had an independent board and separate administration. A new building was constructed at 1300 East University Avenue in 2001 and the name was changed to Dakota Discovery Museum.
Published in the May 29th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This 1913 photo shows the Western Bank (corner building) and the Mitchell National Bank. Gillis Shoe store was also on the street level of the Western Bank, shown by the window awning. The corner of the third building on the left is where the VFW currently resides, and was built in 1887. The two bank buildings were built circa 1910. Photo from the collection of Richard Papousek.
Published in the October 2nd, 2018 Daily Republic.
This 1940 photo shows the window display of the Jack and Jill Shop (child's clothing store) that was located at 307 North Main Street in Mitchell. The display contained miniature nursery school equipment advertising Work Projects Administration (WPA) nursery schools provided for children of parents working for WPA projects. The nursery school in Mitchell was one of seven in the state of South Dakota.
Published in the January29th, 2018 Daily Republic.
Game on! This photo that was taken between 1935 and 1942 shows a marble shooting contest sponsored by the Works Progress Administration. The WPA was established in 1935 by President Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal. It ended in 1942.
Photo courtesy of Mitchell Area Historical Society
Published in the November 13th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This 1889 photo was taken of the train promoting Mitchell during the fight to be the South Dakota’s temporary capital in 1889. Mitchell took fourth among seven cities that were vying for the position. Mitchell participated in the Capital fight again in 1904 when Pierre won the vote to become capital.
Published in the June 11th, 2018 Daily Republic.
The Hanson County Fair Boosters on Main Street of Spencer. Picture is not dated, but most likely circa 1905. Spencer is in McCook County. Photo Mitchell Area Historical Society.
Published in the December 26th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This photo was taken on September 28, 1917, shows the large crowd gathered in the 100 block of South Main, Mitchell, South Dakota, to say goodbye to the soldiers going off to war. In the background on the right are the Merchant Hotel and the Widmann Hotel on the left.
Published in the July 23rd, 2018 Daily Republic.
The celebration of May Day traditionally was a major all-school event at Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell. This photo is of the Maypole dance in 1913, on the DWU campus. May Day events typically included a big breakfast for the college and town, athletic games, an all-college lunch, folk dances and drills culminating in the Maypole dance, the crowning of the May Queen, and an evening play. Lillie Kunkle, a 1918 DWU graduate, wrote that the significance of May Day was that the female students were in charge of all events: “We show that we are practical, athletic, and graceful, as well as intellectual.”
Photo courtesy of Dakota Wesleyan University Archives.
Published in the May 7th, 2018 Daily Republic.
In this 1940 photo, the window display of the Jack and Jill Shop operated by Cora Shipton boosts the idea of nursery schools which were sponsored by the Works Progress Administration. The shop sold children’s wear.
Published in the December 18th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This early photo shows Brady Memorial Home, a 60 bed skilled nursing facility, which was dedicated on June 4, 1961. It was named after Archbishop William O. Brady, St. Paul, Minnesota, and Rt. Rev. Msgr. John Brady, who had been pastor of Holy Family Parish in Mitchell for 42 years. The $468,000 facility was owned by the Diocese of Sioux Falls and operated by the Presentation Sisters of Aberdeen.
Published in the October 30th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This 1953 photo shows Babe Loghry and his mother, Marie (Funk) Loghry posing with the Budweiser Clydedale horses and wagon in front of the Loghry Pool Hall that was located at 111 West Second Avenue (now Custom Cabinets and Millworks). The pool hall was owned by Marvel Loghry. The famous Clydesdale horses were brought to Mitchell in celebration of Western Chevrolet grand opening of their new building. Photo from the collection of Mark Malde.
Published in the October 23rd, 2018 Daily Republic.
Shown is an aerial view of Lake Mitchell and the original spillway as it was in 1929. The lake was made by the damming up of Firesteel Creek to provide recreation and drinking water for the city of Mitchell. This spillway was replaced in 1942 when the present horseshoe spillway was built. Note there is no island present in this photo either.
Published in the March 26th, 2018 Daily Republic.
A plowing bee was held for E. P. Curtis on May 7, 1918, who's barn and grain had burned. Neighbors with 70 horses plowed and harrowed 55 acres in 7 hours. The photo was taken by L. E. Stair of Mitchell.
Photo the collection of the Mitchell Area Historical Society.
Published in the November 27th, 2018 Daily Republic.
Pictured is the Omaha Railroad Depot that was located at the south end of what is now Slumberland's parking lot. The rail line first known as the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railroad came to Mitchell in 1887. Later the name was changed to Chicago Northwestern, ending service to Mitchell in 1972. Rick Mills from the South Dakota Railroad Museum will be the speaker at the Mitchell Area Historical Society Annual Dinner Meeting on September 17, 2018, for more information contact the Carnegie Resource Center. 996-3209.
Published in the September 10th, 2018 Daily Republic.
Shown is the Cafe located in the Widmann Hotel in 1931. The hotel was built in 1904 by Fred Widmann and had 100 guest rooms-36 having private bathrooms. The 4-story building burned down in April, 1950.
It was located on the southeast corner of 1st and Main.
Published in the February 12th, 2018 Daily Republic.
Farmers Produce was located in Mitchell by the overpass just off 1st street and was founded in the late 1940’s by Francis Kelly. The photo taken in 1954 shows Kelly standing in the doorway watching his niece's Mary Catherine Zard Jorgensen and Margaret Anne Zard. Photo Courtesy of Patty Versteeg from the Mitchell and Neighbors Book.
Published in the August 13th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This 1904 photo shows John Phillip Sousa and band members on the back steps of the Corn Palace taking a break between programs. The house shown in the background was Louis Beckwith's home that was located at 403 North Lawler and is now on the Dakota Discovery Campus as part of the museum.
Published in the October 16th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This 1912 photo shows Anderson Lumber Company (facing west), located at Eighth and Main Street in Mitchell, just south of the Chicago Northwestern Omaha Railroad tracks. Anderson started the business in 1882 and later sold it to United Building Center. UBC remained at this location until the late 1970s when it moved to it's present day location on west Havens.
Published in the April 23rd, 2018 Daily Republic.
This photo was taken in the 200 block of North Main Street during Corn Palace week of the Midway and crowd. This photo is actually from sometime before 1952 as it shows the old Paramount Theater marquee that was changed when the theatre was remodeled and renamed the State in 1952.On the right hand side you can see the sign for Cotton Jewelry and Florsheim Shoes which would have been Griggs Clothing Store. The Woolworth’s Store is upper right. Across the street on the left is Saterlie Drug Store and Paramount Theatre.
Published in the August 20th, 2018 Daily Republic.
Shown is the Rozum Motor Company building under construction in 1922 on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Main Street. In 1917, Anthony Rozum purchased the Ford dealership from Art Miller and formed the Rozum Ford Motor Company. The company remained at this location until 1980 when they moved to a location at 23rd and North Main Street.
Published in the March 12th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This 1953 photo was taken in front of Randall’s grocery store at 309 West First Avenue (currently Chuck’s Paint Store). The store moved to 1201 North Main in 1956. In 1966 it moved to the Palace Mall location. In 1992 they built the current store across the street to the east of the Palace Mall location, the name was later changed to Coborn’s when new owners took over.
Published in the June 4th, 2018 Daily Republic.
Shown is the Litchfield School that was built in 1921 and opened the fall of 1922. The school was named after O. T. Litchfield who had been a long time Board of Education member and president for many years. A second floor was added in 1953. The building was demolished in 1994 after the Gertie Belle Rogers School was built to replace it. Photo from the collection of Richard Papousek.
Published in the August 27th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This 1915 photo shows Linn Gale Evans (right), ticket taker at the Milwaukee Depot in Mitchell. This depot was built in 1908 after the first depot burned down and is now the Depot Restaurant. This photo was donated to the Mitchell Area Historical Society by Mary Steffens of Redwood City, California.
Published in the January 8th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This 1907 photo shows the large crowd during Corn Palace week watching a trapeze act on Main Street. At the time the Milwaukee Railroad had 14 special trains and the Omaha Railroad had 2 trains bringing people in for the celebration. John Phillip Sousa was the entertainment for the week. The decorating of the Corn Palace started the first of August and was finished by the time Corn Palace week started on September 23.
Published in the July 9th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This 1958 photo was taken looking North on Lawler street from First Avenue, Clyde’s Liquor on the left, now a empty building, the next building was Pheasant’s Inc. which was torn down and in background is the large tower which was located on the roof of the Roxy Theater. On the right was a Texaco service station, Burn’s Lumber Co. building & just north of the alley was Mitchell Auto Electric and the corner building was the Mitchell Laundry.
Photo courtesy of the Mitchell Area Historical Society.
Published in the December 11th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This photo of early Mitchell Schools is from a 1912 souvenir Mitchell book. The schools shown are Eugene Field (top left), Lincoln (top right), Longfellow (bottom left) and Central (bottom right). Central School was the high school and later became the junior high, the other three were elementary schools.
Published in the February 5th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This photo is looking north on Mitchell's Main Street from Fourth Avenue, circa 1958.
On the right side of the street is Den Beste Drug, (Beckwith Apartments above); Sumption Maytag, Harve's, Northwestern Public Service, Loon Motor Co and Elks.
Located on the left side of the picture: G.F. Buche Co, Red Owl, Moonlight Bar, Service Cafe and Montgomery Ward and Co.
Published in the April 30th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This photo was taken by Ole Leland, an early Mitchell photographer. Leland would take photos like this, all around the state of South Dakota and make postcards of them to make a living. Shown is a typical claim shanty. The caption reads “Proved up yesterday”, “Good luck Dan”. Leland died a pauper and is buried in an unmarked grave at Graceland Cemetery in Mitchell, SD.
Published in the February 26th, 2018 Daily Republic.
Pictured is the control tower used at the Army Airbase built in Mitchell in 1942. The base contained barracks for the men, officer quarters, a hospital and a mess hall. The base was turned over to the city of Mitchell when the war was over.
Published in the March 19th, 2018 Daily Republic.
Back In Time 2018
Pictured is the sign for the Mitchell Business College that was located in the 100 block of west Fourth Avenue above Reynolds Furniture Store. The school was founded by R. D. Reynolds at 107 North Main (now the American Legion) on the second floor of the building in the 1920s before moving to this location. The Business College closed after WWII.
Published in the April 2nd, 2018 Daily Republic.
Shown is a train wreck that happened in Mitchell in 1908. A double header engine with a heavily loaded train was coming into Mitchell from the south on the Milwaukee line. At the same time a switch engine was working in the east end of the yards and crashed into the double header as it rounded the curve coming into town. The switch engine was knocked from the track and was practically demolished, while both the freight engines were damaged badly.
Published in the April 16th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This circa 1950s postcard shows the Wheel Inn Motel that was located on Havens and Iowa Street (713 South Iowa). The business was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Joe Deckert. The building is no longer a motel, it’s now called the Wheel Inn Plaza and houses several businesses including Mitchell Monuments and Spirit Winds Massage.
Published in the June 25th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This aerial photo was taken June 24, 1947 by Donald E. Hoskins of Huron, South Dakota, it shows Sanborn Boulevard looking north from First Avenue. In the center of the photo is the Junior High and Whittier School Buildings. At the top of the picture is the Westborn Court apartments, now know as the Krohmer apartments. At the bottom of the photo is intersection of First Avenue and Sanborn.
Published in the January 15th, 2018 Daily Republic
Saints Peter and Paul Catholic built in 1913 in Dimock. It was built on land donated by Englebert Schlimgen. The complex included church, school, parish, hall and priest’s home. Pictured here are the students of the parochial school circa 1930-40.
Photo Courtesy of Charles and Linda Oster.
Published in the July 16th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This photo is of Mitchell's bustling Main Street in 1908. The buildings on the right are still there but the building (known as the Gale building) north of the Second and Main Street intersection burned down and is now a patio for the next door business.
Photo from the collection of Richard Papousek.
Published in the September 18th, 2018 Daily Republic.
These photos were taken on July 16, 1975, when the Village Bowl in Mitchell was destroyed by fire. The bowling alley was originally built in 1958 and opened on December 10, 1959. The new bowling alley with 24 lanes was completed in February, 1976. The restaurant and bottle shop (The Chalet) was opened in July, 1976.
Published in the March 5th, 2108 Daily Republic.
This circa 1909 photo shows the Stickney train depot and a farmer leading his newly arrived herd home from the station.
Published in the November 6th, 2018 Daily Republic.
Riverside in Hanson County, five miles east of Mitchell. was platted in 1901. The Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railroad (Mail) operated until the 1920s. The depot then became a flag station, meaning the train only stopped if they were picking up or dropping off. Photo courtesy of Mitchell Area Historical Society.
Published in the Dec 4th, 2018 Daily Republic.
This photo shows South Dakota Girls State participants practicing an escape drill at Graham Hall on the campus of Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell in June 1949. Speakers that year included Governor George T. Mickelson and Attorney General Sigurd Anderson. Founded by the South Dakota American Legion Auxiliary in 1947, South Dakota Girls State was held at DWU from 1947 until 1985, when it was moved to the campus of South Dakota State University in Brookings. In 2002, the program was moved to the University of South Dakota at Vermillion. The purpose of Girls State is to bring to the girls of South Dakota a knowledge of the fundamental principles of American governments through actual practice and control. “Girls State is a laboratory of practical political science,” noted Genevieve M. Ziegler, Girls State director in 1949.
Photo credit: Dakota Wesleyan University Archives
Published in the May 21st, 2018 Daily Republic.
Shown is the Mitchell High School that was built in 1909 at 500 East 5th Avenue (where Cathedral Square Apartments are now located). This was the north side of the school looking south. When the current High School was built this building was then used for Notre Dame High School for several years.
Published in the February 19th, 2018 Daily Republic