The Beulah Methodist Episcopal Church, nine miles south of Alexandria in 1922. Photo by Erwin C. Paustian, director of the Department of Rural Leadership at DWU. It was an open country church that was built under the leadership of Rev. J.H. Dimmit, 1905-06. When the Beulah Church disbanded, its members joined the Alexandria Methodist Church.
Archives of the Dakotas Conference of the United Methodist Church, DWU
Published in the March 12th, 2019 Daily Republic.
View from Railroad Street looking north on Lawler. Date of the photo is uncertain. Front building is the original wood depot, center building is the Milwaukee Freight House and the tall building with all the windows is the current Daily Republic building. Other Mitchell landmarks can be identified as well.
Published in the February 19th, 2019 Daily Republic.
This is the south side of Main Street in Ethan. Many of the businesses got started in the 1800's. The first designated school building housed grades 1-8 in 1883. The depot/water tower was established in 1880 before the train tracks came to town.
Photo courtesy of Carnegie Resource Center
Published in the January 8th, 2019 Daily Republic.
Back in Time 2019
Photo courtesy of Archives of the Dakotas Conference of the United Methodist Church, DWU
The Iona Methodist Church, pictured here in 1922, was built in 1909 by George Kenzy, Jack Hyde and Mike McHaley on land donated by Frank Walker in Lyman County. The Rev. Tommy Black had been conducting Methodist services in Bijou Hills since 1908, when he began serving the Iona community as well, traveling back and forth by ferryboat. His enthusiasm contributed to the building of the church, and he continued serving at Iona into 1911. In 1922, at the time of this photo, the Baptist pastor from Dixon was ministering to the Iona congregation. On Dec. 24, 1949, the Iona Methodist Church was destroyed by fire. A new church was built in 1951 and dedicated in 1957. When the Iona United Methodist Church closed in 2014, they had been yoked with the Gregory United Methodist Church for 87 years.
Published in the April 2nd, 2019 Daily Republic.
Presidential candidate George McGovern with an unidentified man on Mitchell’s Main Street, 1972. Note Tradehome Shoes and the Corn Palace in the background.
Photo credit Dakota Wesleyan University Archives.
Published in the March 19th, 2019 Daily Republic.
Dakota Wesleyan University Archives
Phillips Hall, formerly located at 1020 Court Merrill, was given to Dakota Wesleyan University by Mrs. O. A. Phillips in 1918, after the death of her husband, the Rev. O. A. Phillips, and in memoriam to her son John who died in 1908 at age 14. DWU used it for dorms, classrooms, music studios and practice rooms. It was dismantled in 1961.
Published in the April 16th, 2019 Daily Republic.
This banner was the prize in 1895 for the Mitchell Volunteer Fire Fighters. A team had to take first place three consecutive years in the annual state completion with other fire fighter teams before they could take permanent possession of the banner. Mitchell took first place in 1893 in Mitchell, in 1894 in Canton and 1895 in Madison. In honor of National Fire Fighter Appreciation Day, the banner will be unveiled for display at 1 p.m. Saturday, May 4, the Carnegie Resource Center.
Carnegie Resource Center Photo.
Published in the April 30th, 2019 Daily Republic.
Photo taken on March 11, 1897, at 11th and Main in Mitchell. Note that the gentleman is standing on the peak of a roof.
Published in the February 5th, 2019 Daily Republic.
Photo is circa 1888: Mitchell Main Street looking north at the corner of Second Avenue and Main. Store at the left is L.O. Gale Pharmacy, Jewelry and Book Store. In 1992, Worthing Clothing (Western Wear) was in this location.
Published in the January 29th, 2019 Daily Republic.
A view looking northeast from the Milwaukee Railroad Roundhouse. Date of this photo is uncertain. The “new” depot (currently The Depot restaurant), is located just north of the roundhouse. Other familiar landmarks can be discerned in the photo.
Published in the February 26, 2019 Daily Republic.
First National Bank in Alexandria, circa 1902. This closed in 1931. It housed the Masonic Lodge, Bleeker Law Office, and Northern States Power Company. The Security State Bank organized in 1940.
Published in the February 12th, 2019 Daily Republic.
Postcard of Dakota Wesleyan University in 1912
The three College Row buildings, from left to right, are: Graham Hall (built 1901-03), College Hall (completed 1889), and Science Hall (built 1911-12). As of 2019, Science Hall is called Hughes Hall and is still in use.
Published in the March 26th, 2019 Daily Republic.
East Side of Main Street looking North from Second Street. Circa early 1900's.
Published in the January 22nd, 2019 Daily Republic.
West Side of Main Street looking North from Second Street. Circa early 1900's.
Published in the January 15th, 2019 Daily Republic.
College Hall on the DWU campus was completed in 1889 and burned on Feb. 12, 1955. This was DWU’s main administrative building and also held the offices and partial collections of Friends of the Middle Border Museum. Much of the museum’s collections had been moved to a new building; valiant efforts by firemen saved parts of the collections that hadn’t been moved.
Carnegie Resource Center Photo.
Published in the May 14th, 2019 Daily Republic.
Courtesy of Archives of Dakotas Conference of United Methodist Church, DWU
A 1922 photo of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Pukwana, which was disbanded during the 1930s. In 1940, this church and a church from Viola Township were moved to Alpena to replace the Alpena Methodist Church that was destroyed by fire. Both churches were renovated into one new church. As of April, the church is in use as the United Parish of Alpena.
Published in the April 23rd, 2019 Daily Republic.
This photo from March 1943 shows the Dakota Wesleyan University men’s basketball champs as they leave for the national tournament in Kansas City. The players, left to right, are Clifford, Fritzemeier, Stone, Krueger, White, Hull and Turnwall. The yearbook describes the 1942-43 team as one of DWU’s greatest, with a record of 19 consecutive wins, for one of the longest undefeated strings in the country. Coached by Lester Belding, the season record was 21-2, including a 50-30 loss to Cape Girardeau at the national tournament. Photo from the Dakota Wesleyan University Archives.
Published in the March 5th, 2019 Daily Republic.
Photo credit Archives of the Dakotas Conference of the United Methodist Church, DWU
Undated aerial photo of the Methodist Hospital in Mitchell, which was on South Miller Avenue, just north of the present-day Davison County Public Safety Center. It opened on Feb. 14, 1918. After the 1991 merger of Mitchell’s two hospitals, the Methodist Hospital was purchased by Davison County. It was demolished in August 2010.
Published in the April 9th, 2019 Daily Republic.
This photo shows a firemen’s parade circa late 1800s to early 1900s. The exact date and town are unknown, but the group wearing dark uniforms is made up of Mitchell firemen carrying the banner which was recently placed on display at the Carnegie Resource Center in Mitchell.
Carnegie Resource Center Photo.
Published in the May 7th, 2019 Daily Republic.