Bicycle Party to Salem and Back, a distance of 66 miles. circa 1929
Cyclists left to right: Lee Kreidler (Fulton), Mrs. L.E. Stair, C.C. Brass, Julia Rogers, Mae Rogers, May Krom or Krum
Photo taken in front of L.E. Stairs business at 113 S. Main. The awning says, “Cycles and Repairing.” Mrs. Stair was an avid cyclist and was one of the original six, along with Mr. Kreidler, who finished the ride. The others dropped out at difficult places on the return.
Published in the June 19th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
Carnegie Archive Photo.
Dakota Central Telephone Company Plant on December 3, 1938 – Telephone Operators
The first telephone operator in Mitchell, SD was Millie Mayo, sister of Fred B. Elce who started the Mitchell Telephone Company in 1898 with 75 customers. The original company was sold to Dakota Central Telephone Company in 1904 with 424 town and 11 rural customers. Growth forced the company to relocate in 1911 to 115 East Third. The front of this building still has the “TELEPHONE” nameplate over the door. In 1929 the Tri-State Company of St. Paul, MN purchased the company and both companies became subsidiaries of Northwestern that ultimately merged with Northwestern Bell in 1942.
Carnegie Resource Center Archives Photo.
Published in the March 24th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
“In 1904, a racing organization was formed known as the Mitchell Driving Park Association located at the present Hitchcock Park with racetrack, barns, stables and other racetrack buildings. The one-half mile racetrack was built before 1886 as there are records of horse racing at that time and it was used at least until 1931. The grandstand and amphitheater were in use by 1887. The grandstand-amphitheater stood for 35 years until it burned down July 5, 1922.” From Hitchcock Park by Garvin Bertsch
Undated photo by Leland of the Mitchell Driving Park
Published in the June 12th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
The Lawler Hotel (1940-1992)
This building started as a one story that housed a company called the Face-a-Lite Manufacturing Company owned by George Logan in 1920; it made a shield to block sun and lights before visors were part of the car (currently on display at the Carnegie Resource Center). Walter Dixon purchased the building in 1939, added a story by raising the roof with jacks and adding bricks employing Peter Kuipers and Sons to do the construction. The Lawler Hotel opened in 1941 with eight rooms on the first floor. A second floor added in 1950 added 17 rooms and a third-floor addition in 1952 brought the capacity to 84 rooms. The Blue Room Bar and the Lawler Café added to the completeness of a stay at the hotel. Corn Palace entertainers stayed at the hotel from 1947 to 1972 and ate at the café which brought locals in to get a look at the celebrities. The Lawler Cafe was a family restaurant where residents could enjoy a happy outing year round.
The building was sold several times and ended up becoming offices and government supported apartments until it burned on March 6, 1992.
Published in the May 29th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
Mitchell High School at 410 East 5th – 1909
Built in 1894 Central High School located on Sanborn Street between Second and Third streets was too small. In February 1908 Mitchell voted to build a new high school at 410 E 5th Ave. A grade school, Lincoln School, sat in the spot for the new High School. It was moved to the northwest corner of the block. The new Senior High School held classes the second semester of the year 1909-10, and in 1913-14 the third floor was finished for classrooms. The Senior High School at East 5th eventually became too crowded, and a new High School was built in 1962 at 900 North Capital. This modern structure included the first cafeteria in the Mitchell School System and an auditorium seating about 600. Additions were made to the school on Capital in 1982, because of over-crowding. The old High School on East 5th Street was sold to the Holy Family Catholic Church in 1963 for $67,000 and served Notre Dame High School until 1970. Cathedral Square Apartments now occupy the location.
From the Carnegie Archives
Published in the March 10th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
This Stair photo from August 25, 1915, captures the moment when Postmaster Thomas J. Ball drove the first spike on the northern end of the street railway system being built by O.E. Cassem and his associates. Following the driving of the spike by Mr. Ball, O.E. Cassem, Jr. drove the second spike on the other end of the tie. This trolley car system transported passengers between the Milwaukee Railroad and the Omaha Railroad Depots along Rowley Street. The trolley car system only lasted around 2 ½ years. The Omaha Railroad station sat at 801 N. Main and the Milwaukee at S. Main and Railroad St.
From the Carnegie Archives.
Published in the January 16th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
Pictured from left to right are: Back row – Tom J. Ball, Joe Morrow, Al Hammer and J.K. Smith
Front Row – Dr. W.E. Crane, A.J. Waterhouse, George Johnston, John Walrath and Frank Hammer
In the village of Firesteel, Dakota Territory a group of young men became friends. Upon the promise of the railroad coming to a site two miles to the north, Firesteel businesses and residents began moving to this new site called Mitchell in October 1879. A group of young men would meet around the drug store’s old stove to conserve the small amount of fuel and have companionship daily during the winter of 1879. Amidst the desolate prairie, blizzards and an uncertain future a group of sixteen young bachelors from the old stove gatherings formed a society to “the continuance of that friendship which engendered in Mitchell amid the ‘blizzards’ and hardships of the winter of 1879-1880” so says their constitution. They had a president and secretary and would hold a reunion and banquet each year upon the arrival of the first blizzard. The first reunion was held Friday, October 15, 1880. The last reunion of this group of old friends was held on Thursday, November 18, 1915, with nine of the original sixteen members still living in attendance. For more information on this pioneer group come to the Carnegie Resource Center and investigate this unique piece of Mitchell history. This Hoyt Cox photograph captures the club known as the “Mitchell Comrades of ’79” in their older days.
From the Carnegie Archives.
Published in the February 17th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
Mitchell Kernels - 1950
Back Row (from left): Manager Maynard Ingalls, Bill Benson, Hans Hanson, Keith Cooper, Bruce Canatsy, Jim Iverson, Wayne Stone and Bart Venezia
Front Row: Lloyd Evers, Jerry Parkinson, Lou Davis, Dale Rezac, Giff Cunningham, Darrell Cadwell, and Batboy Del Black
Hot Dogs, Cracker Jacks & Peanuts – Come to the Ballgame!
Structured baseball has been part of the Mitchell back drop for many years. Mitchell had organized baseball teams in 1920 as part of the South Dakota League, followed by the Dakota League from 1921-1922. From 1936 - 1937 they were part of the Nebraska State League, the Western League from 1939-1940. When the Basin League, a collegiate minor league, was organized in 1953, the Mitchell Kernels were one of the charter members and remained in that league until 1973. Baseball Hall of Fame inductee Jim Bottomley played for the 1920 Kernels.
Hitchcock Park housed the Kernels during the 1920–1923 seasons. Kernel Park, located between East 9th Ave. and East 11th Ave. (included part of the parking lot of the old Mitchell Technical) next to Joe Quintal Field (built in 1941), accommodated the minor league team starting in 1936. Around 1970 the stadium and Kernel Park were torn down and the field was used by Mitchell High School as part of their complex at Quintal Field. The Kernels moved to the new Cadwell complex in 1972.
Photographer Unknown, Linda Oster photo editor
Published in the July 24th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
One of five original paintings by Elsa Hertel on display at the Carnegie Resource Center that depict scenes around Mitchell. Elsa taught two college art classes and a class in creative art for children at DWU in the winter of 1934 and continued to be part of the community until 1936. Painted in 1936 this scene is the Cattle Shipping Station that sat on South Foster Street straight south of Hitchcock Park. The area was rebuilt eliminating the underpass. Please come down and enjoy Elsa’s paintings of Mitchell in the late 1930’s.
Photo by Linda Oster
Published in the July 10th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
South Dakota Traveling Men’s Association Convention (an organization for traveling salesmen) is the event happening on the West side of Second and Main - Mitchell, SD.
This is the L.O. Gale building - built in 1881 and extended to the alley in 1891. A clothing store that sat on the ground floor of the L.O. Gale building (201 N. Main) either belonged to Indra Leopold or William Metcalf. The sign on the side of the building is for Hart, Schaffner and Marx, a men’s clothing line founded in 1887. Ownership of the store changed hands in 1907 from Leopold to Metcalf.
When Gale built the building, he operated a drug store and pharmacy on the north side of the store with the south side devoted to books, toys, silverware and musical instruments. Down the center of the store he had jewelry and more expensive items for sale. Gale also had a area for jewelry repair.
Incomplete History of the Gale building ground floor:
Snow’s Ice Cream 1953-1955, Army & Navy Store 1957
Schiff’s Shoe Store 1960-1967, Worthing’s Western Wear 1967-1998
Janitor’s Express 2005-2008 (Fire), Outdoor garden for Dr. Lucky’s Bar & Grill 2017-2020
Form the Archives of the Carnegie Resource Center.
Published in the February 10th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
Built in 1894 the South Side School in Mitchell, SD sat on Havens Street. Students in this part of town had attended school in a Lutheran Church for awhile until this building was established. After 1894 several improvements were made to the building: 1906 a furnace was installed, and rooms were completed for the 5th and 6th graders who had previously attended Central; 1908 toilet rooms and drinking fountains; 1909 7th and 8th graders were added; 1912 paper towels and liquid soap along with ONE pencil sharpener. By 1919 the building became overcrowded and needed many repairs. The idea of a new building was brought up and it was decided to build two new elementary schools – one on North Main and one on the south side. This school was first called South Side and then Eugene Field by 1907. According to an Evening News article of January 6, 1922, this building was salvaged and moved to 620 South Sanborn where it was remodeled and turned into four apartments. It served hundreds of Mitchell students in its 25 years. The school building opened in 1922 on the same spot operated until 1994 when a new school was built south of the DWU campus and was then named L.B. Williams after a former mayor.
From the Carnegie Archives
Published in the May 1st, 2021 Mitchell Republic
The East Side School pictured was built in 1884, near the middle of the block between Fifth and Sixth Avenues, where the present day Cathedral Squares Apartments are located. The school’s name was later changed to Lincoln School. It was decided in 1907 to build a new High School, so Lincoln School was moved to the northwest corner of the block and some rooms were used to house some of the Senior High programs. On August 11, 1933 it was voted that the Lincoln School be abandoned for the coming year and the teachers transferred to other schools. In 1934 the Lincoln building was remodeled into offices for the superintendent and clerk. The administration was on the north side of the first floor and High School students would enter the south entrance to enter where the band practiced on the south side of the first floor. Shorthand and typing classes were held on the second floor and journalism was in the basement. The old Lincoln School building was razed in 1963 and the Administrative Offices were moved to the old Post Office building at Fourth Avenue and Lawler Street then later to the Mitchell Middle School. The offices are currently at the Second Chance Alternative School building located at 821 N. Capital Street.
From the Carnegie Archives.
Published in the February 24th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
The Evening Republican dated 11/18/1929 states, “These were the days when the ‘headers’ were popular. The cumbersome, awkward looking high wheelers were called ‘headers’ because their riders often fell headfirst to the ground. But the young men of Mitchell were not behind the times and when everyone was riding ‘headers’, ‘headers’ were ridden in Mitchell too.”
The men shown are the first bicycle club in Mitchell. From left to right they are: W.H. Healy, brother-in-law of J.O. Walrath and winner of the most club race events; H.R. Kibbee; F.A. Bidwell; J.E. Gilbert; Ed Winnegar; William Layton; Dr. W.E. Crane; Frank Baughman; R.N. Kratz.
Published in the June 26th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
1911 Ole Leeland photo of the east side of the 300 block of North Main in Mitchell, SD. Brown’s Shoe Fit building is not shown.
Businesses currently occupying this space: 320 N. Main now former Pin Cushion site; 318 N. Main now Hard Drive Central; 316 N. Main now former site of The Framer; 314 N. Main now former site of Little Red Hen; 312 N. Main now elixir roasterie; 310 N. Main now former site of Dakota Hearing; 302-308 N. Main now Alvine Weidenaar-300 N. Main, Mechandise Outlet - 302 N. Main, vacant - 304 N. Main, Harve’s Pro Prints 308 N. Main.
The Alexander Mitchell Hotel named after the President of the Milwaukee Railroad burned in 1913. The Commercial Bank building site now houses a park area beside The Diamond Store.
Published in the June 5th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
The Mitchell Steam Laundry on East Second and Lawler was in the process of construction in 1910. J.K. Fox, owner, is standing in the doorway with the white hat. A harness company occupied the top floor. Currently the 2nd and Lawler Co. featuring candy, toys, old fashioned soda, flavored popcorn and some menu items etc. occupies the building.
From the Carnegie Archives.
Published in the February 3rd, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
This is an article from the Mitchell Daily Republic found in our files. We are looking for a date concerning this incident. Please contact The Mitchell Area Historical Society housed in the Carnegie Resource Center at 119 West 3rd Avenue with any information that we could add to our files. Phone 605-996-3209. Thanks in advance for any information to help us.
From the Carnegie Resource Center.
Published in the March 17th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
Same view June, 2021
This ad came from the Daily Republic dated October 15, 1912, featuring a coal burning heating stove that boasts, “Any stove can burn up coal, but mighty few send the heat into the room. Most of them send it up the chimney. … The reason why is the Garland Three Flues.”
M.H. Gosche owned a hardware store located at 101 Main Street in Mitchell, SD. The site had previously been occupied by L.W. Adams who opened the first hardware store in Mitchell.
From the Carnegie Archives.
Published in the March 3rd, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
In honor of the 100th Anniversary of the construction of our current Corn Palace in 1921.
Pictured is the newly constructed 1921 Corn Palace during Corn Palace Festival Week, with the free street show on the south side of the building. The Flying Lavans lead the free street shows provided for the Corn Palace week-long Festival. The Lavans, considered one of the top two aerial acts in the country at the time, was made up of five men and one woman and used a 52 by 40 foot net rigging. Karl King and his band were the main attraction for the festival in 1921. Notice the fire escape ladder on the side of the building.
A Hersey Photo from the Carnegie Archives.
Gutzon Borglum along with his son, Lincoln, supervised the construction of the memorial from 1927 to 1941. According to the website, “The four presidents were chosen to represent the nation’s birth, growth, development and preservation. The memorial park cover 1, 278 acres and the actual mountain has an elevation of 5, 725 feet above sea level.” Normally, Mt. Rushmore attracts nearly three million visitors a year. Covid 19 restriction are posted on the Mt. Rushmore website.
Photo from an undated postcard, Carnegie Resource Center.
Published in the April 10th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
This is the last known photo of the 1st Corn Palace built in 1892 on the NE corner of Fourth and Main Street. Notice the harp sitting on the stage along with a couple of chairs and assorted furnishings. The Corn Belt Committee in 1904 to help Mitchell in their bid for the State Capital went all out with Navajo motif decorations. This is the stage on which John Philip Sousa and his band performed for $7,000 a day for six days in 1904. The new Palace was built on the NE corner of Fifth and Main in only 55 days and was ready for the Corn Palace Exposition of 1905. The Beckwith house sits directly behind in the background with the dome of the Court House showing.
Photo by F. Elton Hill – June 1905
Published in the May 15th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.
Back in Time 2021