Pictured from left to right are:  Back row – Tom J. Ball,  Joe Morrow, Al Hammer and J.K. Smith  
Front Row – Dr. W.E. Crane, A.J. Waterhouse, George Johnston, John Walrath and Frank Hammer

In the village of Firesteel, Dakota Territory a group of young men became friends.  Upon the promise of the railroad coming to a site two miles to the north, Firesteel businesses and residents began moving to this new site called Mitchell in October 1879. A group of young men would meet around the drug store’s old stove to conserve the small amount of fuel and have companionship daily during the winter of 1879. Amidst the desolate prairie, blizzards and an uncertain future a group of sixteen young bachelors from the old stove gatherings formed a society to “the continuance of that friendship which engendered in Mitchell amid the ‘blizzards’ and hardships of the winter of 1879-1880” so says their constitution. They had a president and secretary and would hold a reunion and banquet each year upon the arrival of the first blizzard. The first reunion was held Friday, October 15, 1880.  The last reunion of this group of old friends was held on Thursday, November 18, 1915, with nine of the original sixteen members still living in attendance.  For more information on this pioneer group come to the Carnegie Resource Center and investigate this unique piece of Mitchell history. This Hoyt Cox photograph captures the club known as the “Mitchell Comrades of ’79” in their older days.

From the Carnegie Archives.

Published in the February 17th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.

The Mitchell Steam Laundry on East Second and Lawler was in the process of construction in 1910.  J.K. Fox, owner, is standing in the doorway with the white hat.  A harness company occupied the top floor.  Currently the 2nd and Lawler Co. featuring candy, toys, old fashioned soda, flavored popcorn and some menu items etc. occupies the building.
From the Carnegie Archives.

Published in the February 3rd, 2021 Mitchell Republic.

Under re-construction

This Stair photo from August 25, 1915, captures the moment when Postmaster Thomas J. Ball drove the first spike on the northern end of the street railway system being built by O.E. Cassem and his associates.  Following the driving of the spike by Mr. Ball, O.E. Cassem, Jr. drove the second spike on the other end of the tie. This trolley car system transported passengers between the Milwaukee Railroad and the Omaha Railroad Depots along Rowley Street. The trolley car system only lasted around 2 ½ years.  The Omaha Railroad station sat at 801 N. Main and the Milwaukee at S. Main and Railroad St.
From the Carnegie Archives.

Published in the January 16th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.

South Dakota Traveling Men’s Association Convention (an organization for traveling salesmen) is the event happening on the West side of Second and Main - Mitchell, SD.
This is the L.O. Gale building - built in 1881 and extended to the alley in 1891. A clothing store that sat on the ground floor of the L.O. Gale building (201 N. Main) either belonged to Indra Leopold or William Metcalf. The sign on the side of the building is for Hart, Schaffner and Marx, a men’s clothing line founded in 1887. Ownership of the store changed hands in 1907 from Leopold to Metcalf.
When Gale built the building, he operated a drug store and pharmacy on the north side of the store with the south side devoted to books, toys, silverware and musical instruments. Down the center of the store he had jewelry and more expensive items for sale. Gale also had a area for jewelry repair.
Incomplete History of the Gale building ground floor:
Snow’s Ice Cream 1953-1955, Army & Navy Store 1957
Schiff’s Shoe Store 1960-1967, Worthing’s Western Wear 1967-1998
Janitor’s Express 2005-2008 (Fire), Outdoor garden for Dr. Lucky’s Bar & Grill 2017-2020


Form the Archives of the Carnegie Resource Center.
Published in the February 10th, 2021 Mitchell Republic.

In honor of the 100th Anniversary of the construction of our current Corn Palace in 1921.

Pictured is the newly constructed 1921 Corn Palace during Corn Palace Festival Week, with the free street show on the south side of the building.  The Flying Lavans lead the free street shows provided for the Corn Palace week-long Festival.  The Lavans, considered one of the top two aerial acts in the country at the time, was made up of five men and one woman and used a 52 by 40 foot net rigging.  Karl King and his band were the main attraction for the festival in 1921.  Notice the fire escape ladder on the side of the building.

A Hersey Photo from the Carnegie Archives.